1. I received a letter or phone call from Assets Unlocked regarding assets/funds that belong to me or possibly a family member, what do I need to do to find out more?
We are either contacting you as the funds owner, their heir or believe that you can help us get in contact with the rightful owner. Call us and we can give you more detail about the matter.
2. Does Assets Unlocked charge anything upfront to get this money released for me?
Never. We work on a strictly contingency fee basis and only get paid out of the actual recovered funds. We advance any required expenses on our client's behalf to make claim to their money.
3. If there are legal fees and other expenses incurred, who is responsible for their payment?
Assets Unlocked incurs all the expenses for an attorney to prepare and file a properly documented claim to get the client's funds released, except for an estate or trust recovery as stated immediately below.
When an estate or a trust administration is required to get the funds released, the legal fees and related expenses are paid out of the recovered estate or trust proceeds - never the client's current assets.
Further, Assets Unlocked has pre-negotiated a flat legal fee with the legal firms we refer our client's recovery agreements to. No surprises of high legal costs for our estate and trust clients.
4. Will Assets Unlocked need or request any personal information from me?
No. We do not request any type of sensitive personal information from a client (such as financial records or social security numbers). When it's required for the filing of your claim, that documentation passes from the client directly to the attorney, not through us.
5. What if my claim is denied - do I have to pay anything?
Never. In the unlikely event your claim is denied, Assets Unlocked is responsible for any incurred expenses and you owe Assets Unlocked and the attorney we refer our client to absolutely nothing.
6. Do I have to pay taxes on the recovered funds?
You will need to consult with a tax adviser or CPA for guidance but in many cases there is no tax liability on the recovered funds.
7. Is there a deadline to recover my funds?
Maybe. Whether or not there is a time limit depends on the source of the funds and where held. Some state government regulations allow certain funds to permanently escheat to the government after stated periods of time. In that case, money that rightfully belongs to you, by law, becomes the government's with no recourse for you to recover it. We've actually seen it happen before.
In addition, the longer you wait to file a claim the harder it may be to prove you are the correct owner if you have lost or can no longer access required ownership documentation.
The sooner you claim what is rightfully yours, the safer you are! See the Steps to Initiate A Claim immediately below.
1. Sign our Exclusive Agency Agreement, keep a copy for your records and return the executed copy to Assets Unlocked by fax, email or regular mail.
2. When we receive your signed recovery agreement, we go into immediate action by forwarding the agreement and our file of information on the funds to a legal firm to begin preparing a properly documented claim to the located funds. Generally all signing of paperwork and copies of supporting documentation can be handled through the mail between you and the attorney.
3. The attorney will send each client in the case an engagement letter for authorizing their service to handle the claim and let you know what documentation you will need to send for including with a claim.
4. The claim must be reviewed by the holder of the funds for proof of ownership and any other documentation they require before they will approve your claim and release the funds.
Assets Unlocked stays involved with the client and the attorney throughout the claim process to assist as needed. We have been called upon to help rebuild documentation when the client no longer possessed it or did not know how to obtain it. Our recovery claims expertise has often proven invaluable in claim situations.
Copyright © 2018-2020 Assets Unlocked LLC - All Rights Reserved.